Saturday, August 29, 2009

It’s been three weeks since I have last posted anything substantial. That’s because I’ve been doing only the things that need to be done for the past couple of weeks.

At this phase (Healthy Human), we have a quiz every week. I’ve had a quiz the last two Fridays in a row. The first week was really difficult. The content was less challenging than the adjustment to the style of learning. At the beginning of each module of healthy human (modules last between 1 and 3 weeks), the module directors give us a list of reading and learning objectives for each lecture. I read the corresponding material before lecture. It turns out that our lecturers are often whatever experts the module leader could scrounge up from among Emory’s faculty and affiliates. We’ve been really lucky to have people teaching us who are not only familiar with, but who also engage in, the most recent literature on the topic we’re studying. This situation subverts the paradigm of “The book is the expert and the professor follows the book.” In our case, our lecturer gives the last word (at least as far as our test is concerned J. Their emphases may depart significantly from the book. If a student asks a question, the lecturer is usually familiar enough with the topic to discuss the limits of knowledge about the answer.

So, obviously, this is a really neat way to learn. It means that the Powerpoint slides the lecturer shows are of primary importance to us. That’s the crux of my remediation for the last two weeks: for me, the transition from paper-learning to screen-learning has been challenging. I learn best if I can touch or “own” the material. A lot of the way I remember when I’m taking a test is visual. I remember context (where I was when I read the bit) and I remember position on the page. I remember diagrams and pictures really well, but the words also form a sort of diagram for me in the topography of a physical piece of paper. The great thing about typed text, a consistent graphic design, and a glowing screen is that they make things easy to read. The bad thing is that it’s all the same and you can’t draw circles and arrows and flip through it. Info on a screen is a lot harder to own.

It took me about three days to get out of frank denial that I was going to have to Do Something about the info on the Powerpoint slides. The solution seems to have worked for me: I print out the slides six-to-a-page before lecture so that I can scribble right on the slide and take notes directly on the page. I didn’t have this system worked out week-before-last, and so I was exquisitely uncomfortable with the way I had been learning. There were tears and no small amount of fussing. But I did fine on the exam and also developed my system for owning the material. This past week has been easier for me. I am an old dog learning new tricks.

The material, by the way, has been pretty cool - human development, embryos, and tissue types. We’re also learning to do the patient exam. I got to feel my friends’ abdominal aortas and they felt mine. It’s pretty easy: one of you lies down on your back, relaxed, and the other presses quite firmly (it doesn’t hurt) deep into the abdomen (near your belly button). You’re feeling for the pulsing aorta. It’s big and strong, so get ready for a surprise. I’m learning percuss a chest to listen for consolidation (junk that should not be there) in lungs and for the position of the diaphragm. I’m also still learning to use my otoscope/ophthalmoscope and my blood pressure cuff. A healthy ear drum LOOKS healthy. So cool.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

please forgive me for not giving you the heads-up on powerpoint printing! sounds like you are doing great, as expected! i'll say a prayer that the family makes it through the flu quickly and then i'll be jealous of all your immune memory cells.