Sunday, September 13, 2009

Okay, so we actually got H1N1

And it's rather old news now.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, I had two days of increasing cough - it felt almost painful. That "specialness" of the cough was the only warning sign that it could have been flu, but I honestly thought it was a cold because there was no fever (I know 1/3 of H1N1 cases have none...but still) and there were no other symptoms. By day 3, Thursday, I was feeling crummier than I had and was beginning the wild aches, so I got a reservation at student health. They were awesome; they put me in a room with other masked, puffy-eyed people and then they violated my nose. No, really, I adore student health and it was actually a very efficient visit with lots of good care from an NP named Molly who handed me tissues because I was still weeping from the flu test. She was one of those practitioners whose clinical presence I'd like to emulate. Anyway, I had a 101 fever at student health (no prior fever noted) and felt horrid the rest of that day. ( I was in denial about not being able to do my last-minute prequiz sprint, but I just...couldn't...think.) Then, Friday, I felt pretty lousy, but a little better. No fever control necessary. The past two days, I've felt modestly crummy, no body aches, cough resolving. No fever. Now I'm wondering, can I go back Monday morning? I am.

I'm feeling pretty badly about taking my germs into my grown-up school, but there's also the public health crime of the century that I've just committed: sending Vivian to school with the same cough for the entire week. Unlike me, Vivian never ran a fever (we checked), but I'm pretty sure she has what I have. I immediately kept her home as soon as I was diagnosed with H1N1 and that she probably has it, too, but she was at school for long enough to spread it to every child and teacher there.

Alas. I really didn't know :(. Sorry, everybody!

1 comment:

Brandi Gunn said...

Oh, man, this was the most boring blog post I've ever read. Did I really think this was worthy of the finger motions? Thanks, mom, for reading this, but I'm pretty sure I lost everyone else by sentence 2.