Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ten things

Vivian is all set up. Not sure what she's working so hard on, though.

Mazie reading Moorchild.

Mazie's favorite thing today: learning about Hurricane Isaac via science lesson and news report.
Vivian's favorite thing today:  finishing work on a secret item that she would not tell us about. 
Richie's favorite thing today (at work): getting to solve a difficult problem that others couldn't solve.
My favorite thing today (at work): laughing at someone's story of an exploding toilet.

I thought I'd go back to what if I only had X things.  10 things.

Circumstance: 
I can have only ten items that fit in a backpack and I will be in the woods in Eastern North America and I need to survive for a month.  I don't know if there's water nearby.  Thank goodness it's summer, I just had a huge breakfast, and I am already wearing clothes and shoes.  (I haven't looked this up and I haven't thought about it for a long time, so I'm liable to say something dumb.)

Big sheet of plastic with mylar reflector on the inside
wide-mouth jug
Metal vessel, preferably with handle
Large simple multi-tool
Snare wire
Fishing line
Hook
Fire Striker or Fire steel (could find stone or flint)
Small bottle of chlorine bleach
Edible wild plants book

It's all this snakebite and edible versus toxic plants talk.  Also, I am First Aid Kit Mom for Vivian's Troop's upcoming camping trip. 

HSV-1 has ahold of me.  Sad times for my sore mouth.  Pooooor kitty.  Poor, poor kitty.



1 comment:

Justin said...

Your list is similar, though not identical, to the "Ten Essentials" that the Boy Scouts talk about. Theirs includes a first-aid kit and sun protection (like a hat or sunscreen)...but they didn't include the bleach or edible-plants book, among other things. I think theirs is more for short-term stays in the woods, and yours feels more suited for your month parameter.