Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April Day






Hi, Everyone. Here are some recent pictures of the girls. And a chocolate bunny that they mutilated and then decorated. Awesome. The little girl between Vivian and Mazie in the church photo is our friend, Lucy Park, who is exactly one year older than Vivian and one year younger than Mazie.

For my birthday, Richie gave me the standard pocket-sized handbook of internal medicine that real live physicians carry around in the pockets of their white coats. What a cool, forward-thinking gift! After taking some time to look through it, I'm officially re-terrified. There's so much to know. The handbook is proof that you can't know it all (otherwise, why carry a handbook). I can't imagine myself knowing ALL those abbreviations or having a grasp of all the physiology that will help me understand the myriad manifestations of disease. I remember seeing the doctors I worked with craning to read the fine print of their pocket-sized manuals...I guess that'll eventually be me.

In other news, the cherry trees in front of our townhouse are blooming with unmitigated frivolity. What a sweet surprise our first year here to find that the trees go wild for one week out of the year. This year, Richie and I were determined not to miss the trees' amazing week. The wind is blowing in hard gusts today, whipping up the fallen blossoms and blowing them about in blizzardly fashion. It really does look like pale pink snow.

Also in today's news, Vivian found the bathing suits. I keep them hidden during the cold months for their own protection. I know Vivian found them because when I called her downstairs to go out and enjoy the wind, she was wearing Emma Weed's outgrown blue bathing suit with a watermelon slice on the front - over underwear (that's my rule). She looked very pleased with herself. I remember how fun it was to feel sleek and beautiful in a one-piece. Why don't I feel that way anymore? I think Vivian is feeling good enough for all of us.

No comments: