Monday, February 1, 2010

Biking

So...biking. It's something most Americans learn to do at some point, and some of us love to go really really fast. Richie and I share a love of speed that I hope our kids don't share because it's dangerous. Just kidding - I want to ride roller coasters with them. Mazie has been a proficient cyclist for about a year now. She has recently taken to riding down the hill in "back" (we use that side of the apartment almost exclusively, so I think of it as the front) of our apartment building. She goes peeling down the hill at an angle, then makes the quick right-hand turn to just miss crashing into some concrete steps at the bottom. The first time I saw her do it, I almost peed my pants with fright. I realized she'd been doing it for a while; I had been out of sight range of where she'd been finishing her descent. (Bad mom; I know). She always wears a helmet and seemed to be pretty good at her maneuver. Plus, "Hill" is a generous term for the area in question. It's more of a "grade." Mostly, she LOVES going down the hill. So I let her continue to do it.

I remember last year when she was learning to ride. Mazie attacked the task of learning to ride a bike with the intensity of a fighter pilot. She was somewhere between "I-can't-do-this" and "Mama-I-can-do-this-myself" for about three months. We had a long run behind our last apartment, so I'd run beside her, steadying her bike and calling, "steer, steer, pedal, pedal!" She sort of loved it and sort of hated it. She was absolutely focused on the goal, but incredibly frustrated with the slowness of achieving it. Every session ended in tears of frustration. I finally learned to limit the sessions to about 7 minutes (both for emotional preservation and for the health of my lower back). Mazie would scarcely let me quit the session unless she had gotten to the crying point, and even then she'd want to keep going. Oh, man, was she tough. She was committed but sensitive, 100% focus. Eventually she graduated to a hand on her back, then to just a push-off. At last it was time to learn to start herself, which she accomplished entirely on her own when left by herself one afternoon.

And now she's careening down hills and biking ALL THE WAY around the lake with me.

Enter Vivian, stage left. She is learning to ride this year. Vivian, predictably, could not be more different than her sister. If Mazie is a fighter-pilot, Vivian is a surfer. Today she waited a full 45 minutes to receive help while I finished making chili and cleaning up the kitchen (Richie is at a computer class for his job)...no pushing. When I went out to help her this afternoon, her attitude is just the same as it's always been about biking: avid but relaxed. She'd bike along, wobbling her front tire crazily so that it almost went off the sidewalk on one side, then on the other, and then the bike peeled out and I caught her as she tipped to the right. She exclaimed, as she let out a deep breath, "Huh! That was fun!" And, yes, she wanted to try again. We looped around the apartment building. On the opposite side a family with little kids had left out at least 70% of their toys for the neighborhood to take a gander at. They're all spattered with mud and I think some haven't changed positions since we moved in last July. As Vivian rode past, she rubber-necked like crazy at their toys and veered off the road completely gawking at them. She does this a lot. When we went to the lake, we could barely keep her on task because she kept gazing: at the lake, at the birds, at dogs, and at other people. She'd gaze to one side and then veer off in that direction. Then she'd crash and laugh a sweet goober-ish laugh. But she's getting it...I think as fast or faster than Mazie did. She's at the needing a push-off, accompaniment, and occasional stabilization phase. I don't remember her ever crying about the process unless she falls and hurts herself. She is just a completely different person than Mazie.

I love them both so much! I really think I would not know who one is without the other and vice versa! They each make me a better parent to the other. Amazing.

1 comment:

e said...

I have an urge to go bike riding with your wee ones.