Monday, February 8, 2010

med school has done some things to me

I read the word "infraction," and I thought it was "infarction" spelled incorrectly.


I am no longer weirded out by the idea of seeing a dead body.


I can't talk to someone without noticing details of their skin texture, any visible lesions, posture, gait, etc. I don't necessarily know what all I'm seeing means yet, but I know that it connects with their health history some way or other.


It occurs to me that I will have to actively stop myself from approaching people on the bus and telling them they should have so-and-so checked out if they haven't already.


I am starting to see people who are down and out as a collection of medical problems...and now I can imagine in more detail how miserable those dysfunctions make that person.


I am on the cusp of being useful in the medical setting. More on that and on something we call "OPEX" when I have more time...

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

these are good things that will make you a great doctor :) are people starting to ask your medical advice yet? that is the hard part for me, because there is so much we still don't know. i'm hoping for a lifetime of learning!

Cati Brown Johnson said...

Have I mentioned recently how proud I am of you? So excited for you, Brandi!