Friday, November 28, 2008

"If you fuss at me, all my hair will fall out."

Richie said it. To Mazie. Because ever since her tonsillectomy, Mazie's been whining like her voice is permanently caught in the top of her throat. She CAN talk normally; we just weren't sure at first, so we didn't crack down until it was (apparently) too late. She shocked me today by admitting, "I like it when I don't whine, too." WHAT?

A huge portion of my energy goes towards trying in vain to parent wisely. I frequently feel inadequate as a parent. Mazie and I sort of feed off of each others' frenzies sometimes - even when I'm trying desperately not to join in. I find it easier to keep my emotional insulation from Vivian's ups and downs, perhaps because she's a second child, and perhaps because she's wired differently. Either way, I love my children for who they are. I see that Mazie will be well-served by her sensitivity, tenacity, and energy. I admire her gumption, and I can't wait to be her friend when she's an adult.

One thing that freaks me out is when I help Vivian go pee, which only happens in public because she's relatively bathroom-independent (thorough wiping notwithstanding), she starts tinkling IMMEDIATELY after she mounts the toilet. No waiting period whatsoever. I find myself thanking my lucky stars that she made it on board fast enough because one false move would surely result in urine-soaked clothing. I think I'll resume carrying spares.

No comments: