Friday, May 15, 2009

Day-to-day






It's the first hot + overcast day of the year. Before today, if there was cloud cover, it was cool cloud cover. I'm just hoping the humidity doesn't decide to consolidate and rain down on the clothes I have hung on the clothes line. In other news of the neighborhood, the pool area (just behind our apartment) has been buzzing with activity for a week solid. The dedicated maintenance personnel are scurrying to de-debris, chemically zap, and filter the pool before Memorial Day weekend. Mazie and Vivian have taken note of each stage:

"Mommy, they're using the leaf blower!"
"Mommy, I can see the water!"
"Mommy, what's in the water?"
"Mommy, the pool is bright green!"

And, today, "Mommy, I think we can swim now!" Yes, and then we can put you in quarantine for decontamination protocol. The truth is, I'm pretty excited, too. Looking forward to donning my wetsuit to brave the - gasp - 70 degree water. I never thought I'd be so "sensitive to the cold." But it seems that as years fly by, I am on a steady path towards more closely resembling my mother in every detail, including cold intolerance.

I'm blogging about nothing to avoid writing about the fact that we are MOVING IN FIVE WEEKS. Good grief, how the time flies. I guess I'm lucky to have waited until the passage of time has approached light speed to begin medical school. At this rate, I won't notice I'm in it until I'm half done. Today's preparatory activities include but are not limited to (and I am, officially, a "doer"):

  • Trying to find e-mail about preschool programs in Decatur (Fail.)
  • Putting Vivian on wait list for Fernbank pre-K (Pending. Can only do in person.)
  • Researching moving truck rental rates (check.)
  • Scheduling check ups for immunizations for Mazie, Vivian, and....me! (THREE Checks.)
  • Delivery of brownies and thank-you note to kind dentist who treated my dry socket pro bono (Check.)
  • Purchase of stamps (pending.)
  • Sorting of the birds' nest of hand-me-down electronics in the top drawer of Richie's desk (check.)
  • In hopes of finding the charger for the camera (fail. It's at work with Richie) that I need to use to...
  • Transfer peoples' wedding videos onto DVD. (pending) (Y'all probably thought I forgot. But not ONE day has passed that I have completely forgotten that I promised some footage...and I secretly believe karmic bliss waits on the other side of completing this task.)
  • Find and print physical evaluation form for check-up. (check. Discovery: my doctor will be asked to respond in writing to the question, "Do you know of any physical or psychological reason why this student would not be able to withstand the rigors of medical school education?" The next seven years of my life apparently hinge on this.)
  • Purchase plastic bags for sorting small things. (pending)
  • Hang dry two loads of laundry. (in progress.)
I just want to give a shout out to my season. I love running in hot weather, dressing for hot weather, being hot. I love that I'm less ravenous in summer and that my shoulders can stop creeping up near my ears and relax into the warm atmosphere down by the rest of my torso. I love being able to dry laundry on the line where the sun is free free free. I love that my oregano is finally coming into its own.

Finally, I'd like to explain the Hunter drawing I posted. Mazie was listening to a CD that has a song about camoflouge. This is the picture she drew while listening. The deer is saying, "Run."

1 comment:

Aya said...

Brandi,

I can't believe you are going to medical school...that is awesome! I finally went back to school. I just finished my Biology 1 class and will be taking calculus this summer. It is crazy hectic with the kids but I am a much better student this time around. Good Luck with everything.

-Andrea