Monday, December 10, 2012

Maine-ho!

The rain in Maine falls mainly on...everythang.

I'm in Maine.

I have an interview here.

Today was a big day. It started on Marta. I tried to work on my laptop all day - planes, trains, and automobiles day - with mixed success. I concede that a lot of refreshing ideas regarding things I'd forgotten about my project since September popped up and reworked themselves into my new post-data-analysis schema.  But I digress.

I flew into Boston, rented a car, took a wrong turn immediately out of the car rental exit, went down a toll tunnel for which I had no toll...and saw the Tea Party Ship Museum! My recovery strategy was to get out of the car and make no sudden moves. In addition to a tea party ship museum, I found that there is also a post office in downtown Boston, so I mailed a package.  I mailed the package so I could get cash back.  I needed cash back so if I got stuck on a tunnel-bound toll road, I could pay my way. I don't know why I got stuck on a tunnel-bound toll road.

Then I had the privilege of driving through New Hampshire - a petite and proper state with good drivers. I could tell immediately by its decorum that it is neighbors with Maine. It was evening by the time I left Boston, so I saw very little of New Hampshire that didn't happen to be reflective or neon...which is very little of already-tiny New Hampshire.

Some things about Maine I can tell even in the dark. For one, there is lots of history - as advertised on signs. Maine is (also as advertised on a sign) both "The way life should be," and "Open for business."  Gorham, Deering, Falmouth, Kennebunk...its towns have a distinct hundreds-of-years-old Anglo-Native flavor. Next, the people are friendly. Their accent is not dissimilar to mine. Maine is full of trees. The license plate reflects the tree-filled nature of the state. The state enjoys a pun, although I noticed that "Main Street" lacked the punny extra "e."

I drove to my destination without further incident. Once in my hotel room, I got all my things settled, being careful not to touch my clothing or my bag to the floor or bed. I made the rounds through the building and discovered an exercise room (!!!).  Then I called Richie.

I told Richie I was unduly worked up over my travel to a brand-new place.  I didn't sleep last night, and I am not tired at the usual time tonight.  He told me to turn around three times and go to sleep (because that's what dogs do).

So what did I do? What was my human equivalent of turning around three times? I went to the Maine Mall.  I got Converse sneakers half-off for Mazie (Vivian's size was not represented there).

I find it embarrassing that the activity I do for comfort and settling down when I get to a new beautiful cold city in the damp dark is...shop.  Because DSW in Portland, Maine is almost identical to DSW in Atlanta, Georgia.  Because the smell of new shoes is practically universal. I can attest that the smell of new shoes is consistent along selected samples of the Eastern Seaboard.

As my final move in settling down, I did a g-chat with my friend Elizabeth in the Midwest and then with my friend Joelle in Kenya.  AMAZING TECHNOLOGY that I will never take for granted - that ability to communicate across continents is nothing short of miraculous.  

Now I feel sleepy. Sufficiently far away from whatever's going on in the parking lot to ignore it. And I miss my family as I always do when I'm away from them.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Parallel lives! I was in the Portland that's on the other coast for a job interview... Working on planes without babies in your arms is awesome. But being away from family is hard! And traveling to a place for a job interview is hard even without the above. I hope you liked it, and if you did like it, I hope you guys can end up there.

Richie Gunn said...

hmph.

I actually turn around 3 times. This must be a boy vs. girl thing.