Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Father's Day, thinking about Pete. Maybe 2010

Maybe from 2010: I got flooded with thoughts to write out day-before-yesterday while running, but I now have only the vaguest memory of what they were and how they connected with one another...I'll do my best.

Something about generosity. Something about human limitations. Turn the corner, fly down the gully, creep up the other side...Oh, yeah. Father's Day is coming up. I feel like I eternally have a load on my mind that I want to tell Pete, who has been a father to me. I feel like I want to half-nudge him, half-goad him into seeing just what he has meant to me and how superhuman his grace towards me and acceptance of me as his own charge have been. Peoples' conceptions of God are supposedly limited by the models their fathers provide. For instance, people who have been abandoned by a father, abused by a father, or lied to by a father often have trouble trusting that God will be present, benevolent, or honest.

Pete has covered over a multitude of wrongs just by loving and accepting me. All I can say is, I trust that God will be present, benevolent, and honest...probably because of Pete. He could've left. He could've accepted me a little, but not completely. He could've held any number of things against me. Pete suggested in the past that those options would be unthinkable. Because he loves me.


There was more that I deleted. I guess this was just the beginning of something bigger.

No comments: