Wednesday, December 23, 2020

from 2010, Words of the Day:

1. Pamplemousse. R bought two bags of Pamplemousses (Pamplemoussen?) today.
2. Mitral Snap. The sound of the little strong cords that hold the cusps of the heart valve snapping when the heart valve has been stiffened in mitral stenosis (in this case from childhood rheumatic fever). I unwittingly called that sound "The S2 Split" and got a gentle smack-down from a very talented preceptor. Shoot. I thought S2 split was general. So much for impressing Dr. D.
3. Tyrannosaurus Rex. KidM's challenge word for tomorrow's spelling test. I had to check just now to see if it had two n's.
4. Match Day. Today is the day all the senior med students found out which residency they matched to. There was a ceremony in the atrium of our school at noon today, when the Eastern Time Zone folks found out (not sure if it's synchronized country-wide). All the envelopes with the assignments were laid out on a table and the seniors lined up in a semicircle to rush at them at the stroke of noon. I watched from above and cried at the shaking hands and proud families. Several small children attended today, and I thought to myself that KidM will be nine and KidV will be seven on our Match Day. They'll be big kids.

Actually, this whole word list was just so I could write "Pamplemousse."

All the best!

No comments: