Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Book order

I ordered books for Mazie today. The first book order sheets that came a couple of months ago got my attention, but I dallied past the deadline on getting our check in to Ms. Vallone. So Mazie came home one day and said, without a trace of sadness, "The kids got their books today." Knife in my heart. She had brought home a library book and so didn't really care that she didn't get any keepers that time around, but I felt terrible.

I figure if we can afford anything, we can afford a couple of inexpensive books for our children now and then. I remember everyone who ever loved me buying books for me unstintingly. If you can be rich in one way, I recommend book rich.

I have more confidence in my ability to choose good books than I have in Mazie's, so I'm not consulting her. It will be a surprise! Mazie and Vivian will receive:

Three Snow Bears
Owl Moon
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
My Body series
When Sophie gets Really, Really Mad
Children's Atlas

And many more that I can't remember as I edit this post on 6/10/09. But I did just purchase about 40 books at 10 cents apiece from the thrift store this morning. We're about to move, so this is the opposite of ballasting, which is what I intended to do...but in my defense, 10 cents apiece!!!


No comments: